Monday, August 3, 2009

What a wedding

A few days ago, Mark (my former boss at 4cs) and Kara tied the knot. It was my first experience with an outdoor wedding, but everything went perfectly. The Denver area has been pretty rainy over the past couple of weeks, and yet it was a beautiful sunny day--not a rain cloud in sight! And oh my, how beautiful the setting. It was at a restaurant next to a stream in the mountains. Wow. The grass was so soft, and lovely for dancing on.

What I enjoyed most, well, other than the dancing, was the theme of the wedding. The talk was on loving well. Certainly this couple was an example of that. Mark flew out to see her pretty much every other weekend last fall (she was in Boston). When they got engaged, even though she had no job, she came back to Colorado to be with him (she stayed at her parents place to look for a job). Loving each other well, for them, was a fight.

I mean, there's a risk in all of the traveling. Risks may include, but are not limited to, what if one actually doesn't love back? How does one trust the other when they aren't able to spend as much time in each others' presence? How much physical involvement should occur when they do see each other? When one or the other is struggling with the relationship, how do you bring it up? How do you continue those conversations? Who do you talk to about the relationship when that person probably doesn't know the significant other?

And in all things, how do you love God first? Loving well means loving God more than all of the former. And yet loving God is a precious thing that I believe God intended us to learn how to do together.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the best man's toast. Not only was he funny (mentioning that when he looked for a wife, he was just looking for a female version of Mark Poshak. On an additional side note, I was just told that someone is looking for a male version of me--lol), but he was deep. He mentioned that Mark had a list. This list included the qualities he would want in a future spouse, and that the list was next to impossible. And so, God proves again, that all things are possible. And it really makes me want to make my list. I had one when I was younger, but after more experience, I realize that there is so much more I want to include.

Despite the risks, it's worth prayerfully setting your standards high(er).

No comments: